Saturday, 16 February 2013

Not My Division

Again, I apologise for not having written for quite a while. I have been preoccupied with various episodes of Doctor Who and Sherlock, and Tumblr and Twitter and lots and lots of homework. In which I have yet to finish.
When I start a blog, I always have high expectations and convince myself I will blog daily but I never usually do aha. I might have to schedule posts or something and remind myself that I need to write more often. I have been reading The Picture of Dorian Grey recently and I must say it is one of the most inspiring books I've ever read. It has also been very influential on me and my mind has thought in ways I didn't think it could. I've also been writing an awful lot of nonsense in my journal lately - of things that actually matter and then some things that don't matter but I would like to think they do. (They still don't.)
Earlier I was thinking about issues such as feminism, racism, homophobia etc. I still can't understand why there are so many people that think they know better than everyone else. For instance men, have been the superior race for decades, perhaps even centuries. Yet women, for all of this time have been underestimated.  I believe that we should be equal. I mean, for God's sake, it is the 21st century. This equality should apply to laws, jobs and everything other. Of course, there are jobs that men are perhaps more suited for, such as things with logic and mechanics. This may be a stereotype, yet it is proven that men have a build that is naturally better for strength etc. And women are better than men at certain things too, and not all requiring a feminine mind and stereotypical jobs such as being a housewife. A man could never be as good a mother than a woman, and a female could never be as good a father than a man.  And I think that obnoxious people - not only men - are entitled to having an opinion, but I don't think they are at all right (my opinion) in saying that different genders shouldn't have equal rights. I also disagree with the stereotype of feminists themselves - as ugly, hairy lesbians, basically. No, that is indeed not the case.
Moving on to LGBT arguments, I am glad that same sex marriage has been legalised in the UK, and I am also proud of those who stood up for it. Considering that probably half of the people at my school used to think I was a lesbian (I am not, and never was.), I, myself am completely for gay marriage and I think that there should be some sort of gay-straight alliance and collaborations in schools to make homosexuals more accepted because it really isn't right for them to be treated any different.
There really should be a gay-straight alliance. Because way too many people are being bullied for the wrong reasons. Actually, there are no right reasons for being bullied and I don't think it is taken seriously enough. Bullying and cyber bullying and sending hate is completely unacceptable but the social awareness of it somehow seems to glorify it all. If you ban something, people only want to do it more. Anonymous hate is becoming quite the trend at the moment. (I've gotten quite a bit in the past) and I don't think sites like ask.fm should be made, because surely the makers of it know that there are always going to be people that use it in the wrong way. It just isn't right. And nobody has the right to tell someone to kill themselves or hurt themselves, in any way at all. In any form of hatred and bullying, nobody, not ever has the right to tell someone that.
Bullying. I don't think anyone realises how powerful it can be. It really can kill somebody, it's nothing to joke about. Even small accounts of it can add up. You can't save somebody from themselves.
Parents and teachers telling students 'if they're being bullied to tell someone about it', I mean do they really think that a victim is going to tell somebody about it? I don't know anyone that has been bullied to have told somebody by choice. A few posters around a school do nothing. Not even the videos and plays. It makes people think, but the bullies themselves are most likely not taking any notice. There must be another way. There must be. To stop people from bullying and stop people from being bullied. I propose that there is a system. A system that not only doesn't tolerate bullying but repels it completely. Bullying doesn't only happen in schools and it isn't only with kids. It is a worldwide activity and is one of many reason I don't particularly like the human race. Perhaps we should build on the anti-bullying system we already have. Telling someone not to be afraid of bullies isn't going to make much of a difference. It needs to be even more known, we have all of this technology and we might as well use it for something useful. It is a worldwide issue, as is poverty, global warming - and they are being dealt with and advertised in such a bigger way than bullying.
But advertising and posters is never going to be enough. It needs to be even bigger, because there are always going to be elements of bullying in an environment.
We should make it a law - making it illegal to bully. It should go on your permanent record. If you bully someone, it goes on a record under your name, your file. (If that even exists, or people say that to make you behave, whatever.) We need to remember that often bullies have a reason for bullying, but it shouldn't be an excuse and they shouldn't at all get away with it.
Children don't want to go to an adult or talk to someone, because they think it is a weakness. They feel as though they have to suffer in silence. There should be a system within schools where your tutor or an adult or a various other teacher sits down and has meetings with each of their students, one-to-one, seeing if there are any issues. Not often students go to teachers. It has to be the other way round sometimes. Meetings may need only to be 5 minutes or so, but it could change how someone feels.
I truly think that this should be an idea taken seriously. If we can stop bullying in schools gradually, it will lessen quite a lot.

Wow I've written more than I expected. This could be because my internet has been down and this was the only thing I could do for a bit.
Thanks for reading, if you did. This is only a draft so if there are any mistakes, feel free to tell me.
None of this was intended to offend anyone, and if it is, I apologise and feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment